Research Assistant Fellow
Exposure and visitation of Chimney Rock National Monument has drastically increased since its designation five years ago. The RA Fellow will serve as a member of the Chimney Rock Advisory Team to build management capacity, and consult on opportunities for additional outreach to diverse communities by coordinating volunteers efforts and special events. The fellow will also serve as a member of the San Juan Virtual Tour Mobile Application Committee, and provide input on social media posts and updates to the Chimney Rock virtual tour mobile application to further strengthen outreach and engagement capacities. Some of the main tasks include:
- Help organize field trips for schools or organizations with culturally diverse participants
- Assist Chimney Rock Rangers in recording visitor contact information and providing guided interpretive tours
- Assist the Pagosa District Archaeologist in conducting archaeological surveys and site re-evaluations
- Assist the Pagosa District Wildlife Biologist with wildlife monitoring
- Serve as an assistant to the Contracting Officer’s Representative for ongoing major construction projects, by preparing correspondence and keeping records of communications
- Record anecdotes and data on operations and management activities to provide input to Valuing Outdoor Experiences Demonstration Area (VOEDA) Community of Practice
- Help develop digital and web based interpretive products for Chimney Rock and the San Juan National Forest
- Assist in the administration of the agreement with Chimney Rock Interpretive Association by preparing modifications and communicating issues to permit administration
- Assist in the maintenance and upkeep of facilities
- Develop Spanish Language Brochure for Chimney Rock.
- Open to a variety of degrees and academic programs
- Customer service experience
- Spoken and written Spanish fluency
- Ideal candidate should possess fiscal skills including basic accounting principles
- Skills in use of databases to input, correct, and retrieve data
- Capable of obtaining, clarifying, and reporting information
- Driver’s licence will be needed to operate government vehicles
Government housing will be provided in a group house at no cost for the selected candidate.
While a driver’s licence is required, a personal vehicle is not necessary. A vehicle may be helpful for personal use.